Blood tests said coarse echtexture of liver. Trying to get pregnant via IVF. Can the liver regenerate?

I recently got some blood tests back, & it was reported that I had coarse echtexture of my liver, function test was normal 67 on my ALT. I was a very heavy drinker for a while, currently trying to fall pregnant via IVF. Is this permanent issue my liver, could it affect my chances of pregnancy, can the liver regenerate?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 30 minutes later

The coarse echo-texture of the liver and mildly raised levels of ALT could be due to the alcohol intake you had in the past. Though these changes are all reversible after stopping the alcohol intake, they do sometimes take upto 4-6 months to come back to normal levels.

Right now you need not worry as these mildly raised liver enzymes are not going to affect In-vitro Fertilization in any way.

Worrying would only worsen your problem. Your situation is most likely reversible. So don't worry, just consult your doctor and make a healthy start.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Blood tests said coarse echtexture of liver. Trying to get pregnant via IVF. Can the liver regenerate? 32 hours later
One other test result revealed 596 for Thyroid Peroxidase Ab & 25 for Thyroglobulin. The comments said High levels of thyroglobulin & thyroid peroxidase antibodies are characteristic of Hashimoto's disease. Lower levels can occur in clinically normal persons and wih other thyroid disease. My regular GP wasn't concerned, but I wondering if a follow test is required? I am doing IVF next mth.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Even if your investigation reports are suggestive of Hashimoto's thyroiditis, thyroid replacement is needed. Fluctuations in thyroid hormone levels can cause fertility problems.
You need to consult your endocrinologist before proceeding for IVF next month.
All the best.
Hope my answer is helpful. Further queries are welcome.
Wishing you a trouble free conception.