Blood test shows high SGOT and SGPT. Is it normal?

Hi i have recived my Blood test result and is indicate that i have hight SGOT/AST 239 u/L and SGPT/ALT 117 . is it normal ?i started worry about my result . is it because i used before the test day some muscleler powder ? is it protein powder will increased the my result ?
Alkaline Phosphates 59u/l
Bilirubin total 0.8 mg/dL
bilirubin direct 0.2 mg/dL
bilirubin indirect 0.6 mg/dL
protein total 6.7 g/dl
albumin 4.3 g/dL
globulin 2.4 g/dL
gamma Gt 22 U/L
Posted Wed, 26 Sep 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 56 minutes later

After going through the values above, it is evident that liver enzymes- ALT and AST are on high side.
Normal range for ALT: 7-56 U/L; AST:5-35 U/L
But your values are very high only for ALT and AST.
Rest other values mentioned down are within normal range.

Raised values suggest some damage to liver either hepatitis or trauma, muscle inflammation or drugs like cholesterol reducing drug, aspirin or anti-tb drugs and last but not least alcohol.

There has been no study which supports the belief that protein supplement can increase the liver enzymes.
Surprisingly other values are normal so repeat test once again and make sure if values are same or not.
So in that case, I would suggest you to consult physician and rule out the cause behind raised liver enzymes.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of any doubt, I shall be happy to help you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.
Follow-up: Blood test shows high SGOT and SGPT. Is it normal? 3 minutes later

Thank you so much for your reply .

i am going to see doctor tommorrow and i will retake test again. By the way should i worry ? is it XXXXXXX ?
In my record last time in May 13 my result was okay SGOT/AST 20 and SGPT/ALT 27 . And now i got this result . i am very worry .Do you think i got hepatic B ?
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 17 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
First and foremost thing, worry is not the solution to any problem. So do not worry at all.

As your reports were normal in may, it indicates that problem is recent in origin. So repeat your test again. If it was hepatitis B, you would have experienced symptoms like appetite loss, naucea, yellowish discoloration of eyes and urine.

Anyways we can clear this doubt by doing laboratory test for HBsAg.
So further steps will entirely depend upon your coming test results.

I hope I have clarified your doubt. Revert back in case you need further clarification.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.