Blood test showing RBC, hematocrit and hemoglobin are lower. Having hypothyroidism. Could you recommend a haematologist?

Dec 2012

I need advice on whether I should personally follow through with finding a hematologist. My blood tests have been "off" for many years. Various problems. Current interest in why my RBC, hematocrit and hemoglobin are lower than the lowest range number for each catdegory. Number used to be very low, after six mos therapeutic 65 mg ferrous sulfate, the number went up to one or two points .w months with hypothyroidism again (thyroid cancer, 1980, both lobes removed). I think my docs lower the levothyroxime and it was a long while for me to go to hypothyroid which may affect blood tests in many ways. My primary doc is cautious and won't be taking another blood test till September. Should I wait till Sept or think about asking her to recommend a hematologist????
Posted Sun, 1 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I believe you should wait till September.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

Personally I think there is no emergency and besides you are already on therapy both for your hypothyroidism and anemia. It is best to wait till your primary doctor runs the blood tests as programmed for September. I want to believe that your doctor after evaluating you in the last visit, had good reasons to program you for September which is just a month from now. I believe that after seeing you in September your primary care doctor might recommend you to a hematologist or an endocrinologist.
As of now, you should just keep calm and go about your daily activities, meanwhile at the same time, you should keep an eye on any new developing symptoms or if presently having any symptoms and they aggravate, then it will be a good reason to go see your doctor sooner.

Hope this is helpful and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah