Blood test showed raised AST and ALT level. What are the complication?

hi , i m XXXXXXX i did my blood test and ast and alt was 140 and 152,, wht does this mean
Posted Fri, 18 Jan 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Thanks for choosing XXXXXXX for asking your query.

I understand your concern about your abnormal blood reports and also understand that you are taking amitriptyline which is an antidepressant.

There are few more clarifications which I will need to answer your query further.

1) Have you done your HBV testing ever?
2) Why are taking amitriptyline?
3) Are you having any of the problems of hepatitis such as a yellow discoloration of skin and eyes, yellow coloration of urine, fatigue and lethargy, nausea and vomiting.
4) What are the S. Bilirubin values which will be there along with the AST and ALT levels in your liver profile report?

I would be glad to receive these clarifications, before I can answer your question properly.

You have a feature to upload the reports by yourself on the right side of this query page. You may want to utilize it.

Hope to hear from you soon.
Follow-up: Blood test showed raised AST and ALT level. What are the complication? 13 hours later
Yes my hbc test is negative, I m taking amitryptiine for depression and sleeping problem . i think too much and when i sleep i m not getting XXXXXXX sleep ..and my head pains, urine colour is yellow and my wgt is 182 pounds and height is 5.6.yes i feel lethargy might be bcoz of hemogl is 7.5. I dont know the bilrubin level , but seems to be normal as i just got information from nurse on my report . i dont hv my report but she just told me tht my ast, alt , wbc and hemoglo, is abnormal , rest my hbv is negative.
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 6 hours later
Hello! Thanks for your speedy clarification.

Raised AST and ALT is an indicator of liver damage and they are released in the blood only when there is a liver damage. AST and ALT are definitely raised. In your case as you are saying that the serum bilirubin levels are normal, jaundice can be comfortably ruled out. The good news is that your HBV is normal which could have explained your raised raised AST and ALT. As your WBC count is elevated, then we should probably think about some infection related causes.

I recommend that you should get a USG scan done from a radiologist who can have a look at your liver and nearby regions. You should get your LFT checked once again after 2-3 days to see changes if any.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

If you need any further clarification, please feel free to contact me back.

If you are satisfied with the answer then you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Hope you get well soon.
Follow-up: Blood test showed raised AST and ALT level. What are the complication? 5 hours later
Thank u doctor for ur reply . As u r the Psychiatrist just want to know more abt my depression . i take amitryptiline whenever i m depressed and i take upto 300 mg but only whn i m depressed . i mhaving sleeping problem . and just not happy with life . During depression i had a severe headache and m heart pain . I dont feel my heart pain is normal . I m just 30 but my heart is very week .Once i did ecg and i hd sinus tachycardia , and everytime i feel the same . Is it bcoz of amitryptline .
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 49 minutes later

During depression a patient may have physical complaints which cannot be explained by investigations. It is chest pain in your case. Although amitriptyline is a good antidepressant, many newer and better and safer antidepressants have emerged in the market. I would suggest you should consider them. These come by the names of fluoxetine. escitalopram, mirtazapine, venlafaxine and many more. You can discuss with your psychiatrist regarding the same.

You should also augment your medical treatment with cognitive behavioral therapy which you can undergo under some good psychiatrist.

Exercise and good diet will also help.

I hope I had addressed your concerns. If so, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you a good health.