Blood test showed negative for pcos but ultrasound showed suspicion of underlying PCOS. Worrisome

My ultrasound raises the suspicion of underlying PCOS but my blood test is negative for PCOS. What does that mean? Do I have PCOS?
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rishma Lakhani 1 hour later

PCOS is defined if 2 out of following 3 criteria are fulfilled:

1. Oligoovulation and/or anovulation-leading to menstrual irregularity.

2.Excess androgen activity-clinical or biochemical that means either acne or hirsutism is present or blood test showing excess androgen activity.

3. Polycystic ovaries (by gynecologic ultrasound).

So only by ultrasound it cannot be said that you have PCOS.

I would like to know what is your height and weight to calculate your BMI and know whether you are obese or not.
Secondly would like to review the reports you have done including your sonography report.
Whether you have acne or other features of hirsuitism like excess hair growth on face or any other part of body.
Lastly would like to know whether anybody in your family is having a history diabetes or not?

Please do provide the above details, so that I can assist you better.

Take care, don't worry.

Dr. Rishma Lakhani
Follow-up: Blood test showed negative for pcos but ultrasound showed suspicion of underlying PCOS. Worrisome 11 hours later
My weight is 50kg and 167cm in height. I have been the same weight for 20 years. I don't have acne nor do I have any excess hair. My father was borderline diabetic but once he cut out his sugar it disappeared. My iron stores have been low for over a year and nothing seams to help it. I'm going for same iron injections next week. I eat a variety of food including meat.
Answered by Dr. Rishma Lakhani 7 hours later

According to your weight and height, your BMI (Body Mass Index) turns out to be 17, which does not come in obese category at all.

Secondly since you do not have acne nor excess hair growth anywhere, as well as your blood reports are normal. All these suggest that you don't have any features of hirsutism also.

Therefore, it is only the ultrasound, which shows polycystic ovaries, and since your father was borderline diabetic, you need to keep a check on your blood sugars.

This suggests that you cannot be labeled as having PCOS.

Don't worry, take care.

Dr. Rishma Lakhani