Blood test showed mild anisocytosis, mild microcytosis and iron status should be investigated. Suggest

My daughter's blood test came back with slightly low MCV and MCH. The film review showed mild anisocytosis, occasional elliptocytes present and mild microcytosis. The report says iron status should be investigated.
Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Iron deficiency anaemia Detailed Answer: Dear XXXXX, Thanks for putting the question to XXXXXXX To give the opinion on the report you are giving is little difficult without having full blood picture. However regarding the peripheral smear examination showing ellipsocytes, microcytes and anisocytes is definitely a feature of iron deficiency anaemia. Though you have been rightly advised to undergo iron profile test but there may be need for other tests as well to find out the cause of such blood picture because such blood picture is associated with some different causes as well some of which can be only kept under watch and some may definitely need active management. May be your doctor is ruling out things one by one. Even if iron deficiency is detected from iron profile the cause of it has also to be ruled out. So I advise you to follow strictly the advice of your doctor who will definitely reach to the root cause. Truly, Dr. J. Ticku
Follow-up: Blood test showed mild anisocytosis, mild microcytosis and iron status should be investigated. Suggest 5 hours later
I've uploaded more info to regards of her blood tests. There's a portion where it shows blood results from 2011.
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Iron defficiency Detailed Answer: Dear, Thanks for reverting quickly. you have relieved me by sending the complete blood picture. There is nothing much abnormal in the reports. I was worried about a blood disorder where there is marked iron deficiency due to unusual and unnoticed blood loss happening in many blood diseases. So minor iron deficiency has to be considered which is a usual phenomenon in young girls due to chronic physiological blood loss due to menstruation. Please follow your physician advice. there is nothing to worry. Truly, Dr. J. Ticku