Blood test showed low hemoglobin level in body. Any suggestion?

Jan 2013

My wife age is 35 Yrs and I got a Blood Test report indicating Her Haemoglobin as 6.7 gms% and E.S.R(Wintrobe ) as 45 mm in 1st hr. Is it a very Serious Issue? Kindly Suggest
Posted Sat, 16 Feb 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 28 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

With the avaiable described investigations report, your wife is suffering from anemia.
Each and every effort should be made to find the cause of anemia.

Does you wife has bleeding from nose/ mouth/ rectum?
Does she has history of heavy menses?
Does she has any type of abdominal pain?
Is she suffering from any other disease?
What are other parameters of complete hemogram (CBC)?

Anemia means deficiency of blood and could be due to decreased formation or due to excessive loss.
Both of these conditions are associated with decreased hemoglobin in body.
ESR means "erythrocyte sedimentation rate" and is a non specific test which indicates that some sort of disease process is going on.

You should consult with internlmedicine specialist and should go for thorough check up.
She should go for peripheral blood film (PBF), renal function test (blood formation is decreased in kidney disease), liver function test (blood may leak from gastrointestinal tract), endoscopy (to find out bleeding source in upper gastrointestinal tract), colonoscopy (to find out bleeding source in large intestine).
She should also go for iron profile including serum iron level, total iron binding capacity (TIBC), serum ferritin.

Meanwhile, she should take iron XXXXXXX diet such as spinach and XXXXXXX lefy vegtables XXXXXXX jaggery.
She should take iron supplements in form of oral tablets.

By means of above decribed investigations, cause of anemia can be detected.
Let me know the result of above prescribed investigations.

Deficiency of hemoglobin is a major concern as it decreases performance with recurrent feeling of weakness and fatigue. It must be corrected for better living.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava