Blood test showed low RBC and average WBC level. Could this be chronic myelogenous leukemia?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I'm a 38 years old Woman. I just got my blood work results back. my MPV is 11.2 which is .8 over XXXXXXX my RBC is 4.04 which is 1.06 below Min. and my WBC is 6.3 which is average. can it be a Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia?
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 44 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your querry.
Dear madam, it can be sign of myeloproliferative disorders including myelogenous leukemia, but also sign of some other more common causes so you dont have to think of the worst right now.
Thrombocitosis can be caused by some autoimmune diseases, anaemia or certain infections. Or it can be idiopathic.
Myelogenous leukemia would manifest with high white blood count so when we talk about serious blood it would be more likely esential trombocytosis.But all these disorders are usually found in elderly.

Do you have some symptoms such as Weight loss or loss of appetite, fever and night sweats, bone or joint pain, trouble breathing or gastrointestinal bleeding. If not,then just repeat blood work for 2-3 months and see will high MPV persist.

WIsh you good health. If you have any question I ll be glad to help.
Follow-up: Blood test showed low RBC and average WBC level. Could this be chronic myelogenous leukemia? 40 minutes later
Thanks for the quick respond. I do not have any of the symptoms. Based on your experience, what are the likely hood of me having leukemia?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 13 minutes later
It is very unlikely. Leukemia usually starts in children or in elderly with some serious symptoms, infections, anaemias and unexplained bruisings. But just do frequent blood work,watch for those symptoims i ve mentioned and if necessary you can do more detailed blood tests in consultation with your GP and haematologist.