Blood test showed high lymphocytes level and atypical lymphocytes. What does this mean?

Question
I received my daughters blood work today the only things that stand out is her Lymphocytes are 39.0 and her Atypical lymphs are 20.0 and the smudge cell is 2. Can you explain this to me?
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
This lymphocyte level is very high and atypical lymphocytes suggest a myeloproliferative blood disorder or what is generally called leukaemias. These cells are generally seen in chronic lymphocytic leukaemias.
Management now is at the level of a hematologist and an oncologist. You need to book an appointment wit a hematologist to evaluate the child and draw up an appropriate treatment plan. Treatment started early with a good follow has favorable outcomes.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Blood test showed high lymphocytes level and atypical lymphocytes. What does this mean? 31 minutes later
her pediatrician is sending us to a local childrens hospital to see specialists. he didn't speify what type of specialist. i am anxiety ridden. what should i expect?

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,
She shall for sure be meeting a hematologist first. Its after the evaluation of the hematologist that he might decide to either involve the oncologist or not.
Thanks and best regards. As I earlier mentioned, early initiation of therapy and appropriate follow up and compliance usually has favorable outcomes. I suggest you should not bother that much, please.
Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.