Blood test showed high iron level. Having high cholesterol. Having calcium in main artery. Concerned?

i am a 52 year old female ive had a blood test come back with iron levels abit high,i went to a cardioligist due to high cholestorol 6.4,heart disease is on both sides of my family an my brother died in a car accident due to heart failure he was 48.there is asmall amount of calcium in my main artery that has come back from having XXXXXXX pit into my veins,so as u can imagine i am rather concerned.
Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Omer 2 hours later

I am Dr.Omer and I am here to help you with your query

I am really sorry to hear about your brother

As you have said that your iron levels are increased, with mild rise in cholesterol 6.4 , have a positive heart disease in your family, some calcium in your arteries meaning some narrowing , your cardiologist did XXXXXXX ( contrast ) angiography and you are a female of 52 year old

First of all, I will tell you that you are protected from heart disease naturally due to your estrogen in your body and narrowing of vessel is a normal thing with age and if it was that important, then cardiologist would have done something like passing a stent in your heart.

The cardiologist gave you a clear chit, so if you have a very positive history of heart disease that doesn’t mean that you too will have heart disease.

High iron (ferritin) level has no significance at all, iron level may increase with a small disease like sore throat, cough etc. High iron level should not bother you.
I haven’t seen your base line tests but cholesterol of 6.4 is not a problem too, I know normal values are around 5.2, with DIET and EXERCISE you can decrease it to normal values in like a month

Menopause or post menopause may cause high cholesterol along with a little bit of mood swings and is easily treated by SSRI and hormone replacement treatment

Take the appropriate investigations recommended for screening in your country at appropriate ages.

I think if you follow your doctor’s recommendations, you will do fine health wise.

I hope this message will help with some of your concerns.

If you need any clarifications, I will be happy to answer them.