Blood test showed high cholesterol level and normal sugar level. Is there anything to be concerned?

I wanted to share my parents blood report for your reference. How can i send it to you?
Posted Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 1 hour later

Thanks for writing your query to us.

I have gone through your parents reports.

Your mom's reports - iron study & sugar levels are normal. No need to worry. She can continue with her present lifestyle (diet & exercise).

I wanted to know whether your dad is presently taking any medicines .That would have helped me to give you a more appropriate advice.
Your dad's iron study report is normal. His sugar levels are slightly above normal.
He needs to avoid any form of sugar in diet. Follow a strict diabetic diet. Sugar substitutes can be used if he gets sweet cravings.
Do daily exercise 20-30 minutes per day. Any form of exercise which he is comfortable doing can be done. If your dad is taking any medicine to keep sugar in control then the dose needs to be reassessed. HbA1c needs to be below 7. If your dad follows this lifestyle changes than sugar levels can kept in normal range. Don't worry.

I hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any other queries.

Follow-up: Blood test showed high cholesterol level and normal sugar level. Is there anything to be concerned? 4 hours later
My Mom & Dad, both of them do not take any medicine. I have seen my mom's cholesterol level is 231 which is higher than normal range of 125 - 200.
Is it problematic?
25-OH VITAMIN D TOTAL is less than normal for both of them.
Could you please suggest some medicine? Is there anything which they should not eat?

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Based on the levels of vitamin D , treatment varies. If the levels are slightly low than dietary supplement will be sufficient . But if levels are very low than, injectable Vitamin D needs to be started. Daily exposure to morning sunlight is necessary.

For increased cholesterol, though not worrisome,
-Take High fibre diet. Include salads, fruits in diet.
-Increase intake of omega 3 fatty acid in diet like walnut, flaxseed, olive oil. 
-Garlic & curry leaves also help to decrease cholesterol. 
-Decrease intake of oil & fat in diet. Avoid eating fried food, maida products.
-Daily exercise of 30 minutes. 

Follow all this for 1 month , & repeat cholesterol levels after 1 month. If levels are still high than cholesterol lowering medicines needs to be started. 

I hope I have answered your query. In case you have any further question I will be happy to help you.

Follow-up: Blood test showed high cholesterol level and normal sugar level. Is there anything to be concerned? 2 hours later
Hello Doc!

My dad goes for walk for at least 3 days in a week for walk, is it sufficient? He is not very enthusiastic about exercise unless it is told by a doctor. Can he have some medicine? What about having bitter gourd juice or fenugreek(methi) powder every morning? If any medicine can be taken, please suggest!
My mom use to have at least one day fast in a week. I told her so many time not to do it, but she has some spiritual reasons for which i can't discuss with her. Can she have some medicine for controlling cholesterol? IF yes, please suggest!

Sorry for bothering you.
Thanks a lot for your answer.

Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 2 hours later

Thanks again,

For your Dad:
Since he is diagnosed to have borderline high sugar for first time, there is no need to start the medicine right now. First try life style modification vigorously; if it is not control then we need to start him medicines.
Try to increase the exercise duration gradually. 20 -30 minutes duration of brisk walk for 5 days a week should be sufficient. Try to motivate him for doing exercise. He can take bitter gourd juice if he can, but don’t force him, there is no compulsion. Soak fenugreek seeds in water overnight & ask him to drink that water with seeds on empty stomach. But all this should be followed with diabetic diet. Strictly monitor his diet. Avoid potatoes, fried things, bakery products, sweets, fruits like chiku,sitaphal; include more of salads, XXXXXXX vegetables in diet. He can have chicken or fish if he likes once in a week. Follow all this instructions for 1 month. After 1 month sugar levels should come down; if not than antidiabetic medicines need to be started.

For your Mom:
Since she is doing fast since long time that could also be a reason for her high cholesterol. During fast we tend to drink sabudana khichadi, ghee, peanuts, all this things are high in calories. Even if she wants to do fast, she can have fruits in her diet that will not increase her calorie intake. If your mom is overweight - she needs to reduce her weight by cutting down on calories by increasing her exercise. She needs to have a high fiber diet with some form of exercise as I had mentioned before. Increase intake for omega 3 fatty acid in diet (walnut, flaxseeds, olive oil) help to increase the good cholesterol(HDL levels). Do ask her to follow all instructions as I had mention. If no results are seen then medicine needs to be started. Medicine have their side effects so they need to be started only if cholesterol levels are high inspite of following diet & exercise.

I hope I have cleared your doubts. In case you have any further query I will be happy to help you.