Blood test showed high Gamma GT level and uric acid. What could be the reason?

Excellent

Question
Hello, I've just had a comprehensive blood test and have been told that the Gamma GT level is high (137) and also that the Uric acid level is high also. I do not drink alcohol on a regular basis - perhaps one Guinness a week, so could there be another reasdon for the GGT reading? Also, concerning the Uric acid level - I am just recovering for a torn Achilles Tendon, so believe that could be the reason for the high uric acis level? Kind regards, XXXXX.
Posted Fri, 26 Jul 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Guru 1 hour later

Thank you for consulting HealthcareMagic!

Gamma-glutamyl transferase (GGT) levels may also be increased in certain conditions apart from alcohol intake like cholestasis which is obstruction in the flow of bile (may be due to gall stones or some other reasons), some liver diseases and with certain drug intake. Moreover, measuring the levels of some other liver function tests like AST, ALT would give a better idea.

Regarding elevated uric acid levels, there are number of reasons that might lead to it such as high dietary intake of foods XXXXXXX in unrefined sugars, in some people due to genetic reasons, rapid weight loss, some medications, gout, pseudogout etc and also possibly muscle tear as it is in your case. But, we need to rule other possibilities as well based on physical examination findings.

Please let me know if you have any further queries!

Hope this helps!

Follow-up: Blood test showed high Gamma GT level and uric acid. What could be the reason? 30 minutes later
Thanks very much for your answer. I can confirm that my levels of AST & ALT were 19.0 and 16 respectively. I believe these are fine. So perhaps my GGT level is not a great worry? My Uric acid level could perhaps also be due to, in addition to my torn acchilles, the fact that I am on a diet and have lost 18lbs in 3 months with another 12lbs to go. I was just over 2 stone overweight, and am correcting that now. Kind regards, XXXXX.

Answered by Dr. Guru 16 minutes later

We cannot assume that the GGT levels are of not a worry even when the AST and ALT levels are fine. As the AST and ALT are completely normal we can rule out liver pathology, but few things related to gall bladder still needs to be excluded. Same is the case with elevated uric acid levels. This cannot be completely attributed to the weight loss which you have gone through and the muscle tear.

So, I think it would be better to recheck the levels again after few days so that your treating doctor gets a better idea, whether they are persistently elevated or transiently because of the weight loss which you have gone through and the muscle tear. Then, evaluate further based on physical findings.

Hope this helps!

Follow-up: Blood test showed high Gamma GT level and uric acid. What could be the reason? 1 hour later
Hello Dr. Vasanth, Thanks very much for your help - I shall take your advice and keep a check on the GGT & Uric acid levels, Kind regards, XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Guru 26 minutes later
You are welcome Dear XXXXX!