Blood test showed high GGT level. Have thyroid problem. Cause?

I just received welness fair results from a company blood draw. it shows my sugar level at 93, My tSH is high again which I know i have thyroid problems, but what concerns me is that My GGT level is High, Should I be concerned. I DO Not Drink alcohol, but do drink one 20 oz mtn dew per day. Is this the cause??
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Omer 3 hours later

I am Dr. Omer, I am here to help with your query and I will be happy to answer your follow up questions

As you have told that you are a patient of hypothyroidism (thyroxine), depression (zoloft), weight gain, having high GGT.

Your weight is increasing because of hypothyroidism+zoloft which causes water retention with increased fat in body

Zoloft does increases the Tsh, if it is not effective for depression, I would suggest change the drug.

High GGT with normal other liver enzymes is a hallmark of alcohol ingestion, but as you told you do not drink

Following are the plausible cause of high GGT in your case

GGT rise means your liver ducts have the problem.

If GGT is raised with ALP+bilirubin then its due to cholestatic jaundice can be considered.

If there is isolated GGT rise a liver biopsy is mandatory, mountain dew does not causes high GGT.

Hope this helps,