Blood test showed eosinophilia. Recommended tablet. What does this mean and why does it occur?

Hi I recently underwnt Medical checkup & my blood report diagnosed mild Eosinophilia. A tablet has been recommended. What does this mean & why does it occur?
Posted Fri, 14 Sep 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in,

Condition Eosinophilia occurs in various problems. The commonest causes are allergies, allergy related conditions like asthma, some skin diseases, hay fever, etc., and parasite infestations.

Usually eosinophilia alone does not concern me, however in the presence of clinical symptoms related to the aforementioned causes, it needs to be addressed accordingly (steroids or Di ethyl carbamazine (DEC).

In this context, I suggest you to go for stool test to detect parasites and treat it accordingly.
So to find out the cause, go for stool test for parasites.

I understand you’re concerned. I hope this answer is reassuring and helpful. If you have further query or clarification, please ask; I will be happy to help.

Wish you good health