Blood test showed elevated liver numbers, cholesterol and thyroid numbers. Have back pain. Cause?

I got results back from a blood test. They called and said my liver numbers are extremely high. Also thyroid number is 116. Cholesterol and trigl are high. Muscle enzymes are 1071. Ph is 6.0 urine and 7.0 saliva. What might I be facing. I recently have had back pain in upper right side. Endocrinologist took me off all thyroid medication I had been taking for 24 years.
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
hypothyroidism causes increased cholesterol

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Tests to check the thyroid can be TSH, T4 or T3 levels. Most commonly doctors would check the TSH first, this goes up in hypothyroidism and the T3 and T4 go down.
The increased thyroid level is likely TSH, with your history of hypothyroidism.

This would mean that the level of hormone coming from the thryoid gland (t 4 and t3) are likely low.

Creatine kinase is the enzyme that is normally measured as it relates to muscle. An inverse relationship exists between this enzyme and T3 levels. This means that as the T3 levels go down, the creatine kinase levels increase.

The decrease t3 may therefore be the cause of the increase in muscle enzymes.

Increased muscle enzymes can also occur if there is damage to the muscle from trauma, strenuous exercise, infection, side effect of medications such as statin.

If you are on statins for high cholesterol , it may also be contributing to the muscle enzyme level.

Mild reversible liver changes can also occur with hypothyroidism or hypothyroidism can be associated with autoimmune diseases of the liver.
Other causes of high liver function tests are infections such as hepatitis, leptospirosis,
viral illness such as dengue,
obstruction of the passage of bile in any of the ducts due to any masses

Hypothyroidism is also a cause of increased cholesterol levels.

Therefore the increased thyroid numbers may be due to the lack of medication that you normally use,.

This hypothyroidism would cause high muscle enzymes and high cholesterol.

It would also contribute to the liver but other causes of abnormal function of the liver would have to be ruled out with further blood tests and imaging studies such as a CT scan.
These imaging tests would particularly be necessary in view of your back pain. The liver is located in the upper right part of the abdomen , in most persons may is felt in this area and not the back but CT scan would need to be done.

I hope this helps , feel free to ask any additional questions