Blood test showed elevated ALT levels. Vaccinated for hepatitis B. What is causing this high levels?

Hello, on two routine blood tests I was found to have an elevated ALT both times at a level in the 70's. I am 31years old. 5'7 and 155 pounds. No medical history. rare alcohol use or drug use. I only take OTC MVI and fish oil. I have also been vaccinated for hepatitis B as that I am a healthcare worker. What could be the cause of an elevated ALT? Is it possible it can be raised without any underlying pathology with al my other labs normal? Thank you
Posted Tue, 28 Aug 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
It is primarily the ALT/SGPT which is raised in your case. The commonest cause of the same in your age group is due to fat deposition in the liver called a fatty liver. This can happen both due to the consumption of alcohol as well as sedentary lifestyle. My first suggestion is to get an ultrasound of the upper abdomen done to rule out fatty liver.

The serum ALT (SGPT) level usually is greater than the AST level in non-alcoholic variant of fatty liver. XXXXXXX (non alcoholic steatohepatitis/ fatty liver) is basically excess fat deposition in the liver along with inflammation. It is usually suspected when the liver enzymes, ALT & AST are raised in the blood and there are no reasons to explain this rise. XXXXXXX most often occurs in people who are in their middle ages and are overweight/obese.

If fatty liver is found, then you need to restrict your rare alcohol intake completely and do some regular exercise like brisk walking for 45 min-1 hour daily. Ursodeoxychiloic acid (UDCA) is supposed to help in reducing the fatty liver.

I suggest you to consult a gastroenterologist and get it prescribed.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.