Blood test showed borderline anemia with allergic tendency. Any suggestion?

Infertility Specialist

I recently had a blood test done. Following were the main observations:
Hemoglobin count - 10
Eoesinophil count - 15
I was told that I am borderline anaemic and have a tendency to have allergies. I would like your opinion on this.

Posted Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for your query.

I read your query and I understand your concerns.

1) Majority of Indian women have hemoglobin around 10 which is just little lower than standard value of 11. There is absolutely no need to worry as this is the value with which majority of Indian women live and is fine. If you still wish to improve hemoglobin to 11 or more, have iron XXXXXXX food eg. XXXXXXX dates, drum stick, jaggery instead of sugar etc....

You can also get prescriptions for iron tablets from your doctors, which are not necessary for a healthy person like you.

2) High eosinophils are suggestive of some allergy you already had sometime back. It is also increased in conditions like asthma in cold season like this. They don’t predict future susceptibility to infection .

Hence, I believe you are perfectly healthy women and hence please don’t think much about these blood reports as they are just an incidental finding and are found in majority of Indians.

I hope I answered your query.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol.