Blood test showed Neutrophils at 8.25. WBC normal. Concerned?

I have just had a full blood count done as I have been feeling a bit run down. It was completely normal except my
Neutrophils were up a little high at 8.25, the doctor does not seem concerned and said my wbc is normal.
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

This is a very good question. I am interested to know what tests were requested in addition to your complete blood count.

Elevation of the neutrophils can happen for a multitude of potential causes including infection. Sometimes inflammation can also cause of this.

I also am wondering if you had some type of respiratory infection, sinus infection or some type of viral syndrome that preceded your symptoms.

Sometimes these types of things can also elevate the neutrophil count.

if the testing was otherwise negative it would be reasonable to check your complete blood count again in about three or four weeks to see if there is any change.

Thanks again for sending your question. I look forward to hearing more information from you regarding this matter.

Dr. Galamaga