Blood test showed Lyme disease. Is crohns disease an autoimmune disorder?

General Surgeon
Is crohns disease an autoimmune disorder. I know it can run in families but is it possible to get this disease from unhealthy eating, etc? are there precursors for crohns? also when a blood test is taken after a tick bite and it comes back positive for the antibodies, the doctor says yes the blood test shows you have Lyme disease based on the blood heboglobin...etc, she lost me there with medical talk. does the blood test actually confirm you have Lyme s or does it just show you have an autoimmune disorder.
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 23 hours later
Hi XXXXX! I am Dr Shareef answering your query.

Yes, you are right in considering Crohn's disease as an autoimmune disorder. It is unlikely to have any relationship to your food habits, but some of the constituents of your food may be allergic to your intestinal mucosa and your body as a whole, and may cause gastro-intestinal symptoms. So it is better to avoid fast food and any such related food from outside. Persons with Crohn's disease should be encouraged to have more of a bland soft/liquid diet.

As such there is no known precursor of Crohn's disease. The person having Crohn's disease may or may not have a relative in his family with either the Crohn's or any other inflammatory bowel diseae.

Lyme disease is caused by a bacteria which infects the body by way of a tick bite. It is still a controversy as to whether it is an auto immune disease or not, although the bacterial infection itself may trigger some kind of auto immune response by the body.

Yes, Lyme disease may be diagnosed and confirmed by blood test. None the less, it can not be excluded entirely in its initial stages if the blood tests are negative, which may become positive in its later stages.

I hope I have answered your query. You have not mentioned anything about who the patient is and what his symptoms are. In case you have any further question, you are most welcomed. Awaiting your reply and wishing your patient an early recovery. Thanks.