Blood test showed HDL cholesterol level of 49. What does this indicate?

I had a medical check-up recently. Blood test results showed HDL cholesterol level of 49. I understand that this is not of concern. But, can you please share with me some tips to improve the HDL Cholesterol level.

Posted Sun, 14 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 13 hours later

High Density Lipoprotein or simply HDL is known as good cholesterol. I am sure you are aware of this fact; therefore the higher the value, the better it is.

At 49, your HDL value is just fine; however it's preferable or rather I would say optimal to be at 60. A few measures to improve the HDL values are as follows:

1. Start exercising - The longer you spend on quality exercise, the better your lipid profiles would be - this hold's good for HDL as well. Jogging, swimming, cycling, brisk walking or thread mill are some exercise that I recommend to my patients.
2. Avoid unhealthy fats/oils - Animal fats and industrial oils need to be restricted. Natural oils or mixture of oils and fish oils are beneficial.
3. Manage your weight appropriately - weight and lipids are directly related. You reduce your weight, you manage cholesterol.
4. Drinking alcohol in moderation.

The aforementioned four tips can optimize the HDL cholesterol levels.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.