Blood test showed AST is 41 and ALT is 81. What does this mean?

Question
I just did blood work the doctors nurse calls me that somthing is up with my liver she tells me my AST is 41 and my ALT is 81 how bad is this and what does this mean? my AC1 is 5.7 is that bad? Thank you!
Posted Tue, 11 Jun 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 8 hours later
thanks for the query

ALT and AST are known as liver transaminases and are elevated when ever there is a liver injury. Your AST level is within range and only the ALT level is mildly elevated.

ALT is more specific to the liver which is constantly under threat from the numerous things some of which are toxins that we ingest each day. Such substances include drugs, inhaled chemicals or paints etc.

With an ALT value at 81 (mild elevation) and normal AST value, there is probably no big deal to worry as it could just be a transient elevation due to some drug intake such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen or drugs used to lower lipids. Other factors that can cause increase in transaminases include obesity, viral infections, autoimmune hepatits etc. Generally these other factors cause marked elevations in the liver enzymes that are more than five times the normal value and with just mild elevation, there is much to fear now. However, the results have to be correlated with your clinical picture but if you seemingly have no complaints/symptoms then there is no need to border and you should re do testing in about 8 weeks to see the evolution.

You need to stop medications that have not been prescribed by your doctor, reduce weight if you are overweight and avoid alcohol.

Your glycated hemoglobin (AC1) value is borderline as between 5.7 to 6.4 is considered prediabetic. You need a lot of exercise and weight control to reduce this value.

Hope this answers your query. If you do have further query, i will be glad to help.
Best regards

Follow-up: Blood test showed AST is 41 and ALT is 81. What does this mean? 35 minutes later
Thank you for all the great info. to answer about if i have complaints/symptoms yes i do thats why i did the blood work. 1.i had a bad case of banalities (penis inflammation) which is gone for now after using a cream for 10 days but it could come back if it is an XXXXXXX issue. 2.I have anal itching for a while now say at least a year and its very bad at times.

Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 11 minutes later
thanks again for the query

It is likely the use of the cream or the infection that raised your ALT. But then, it was only a mild elevation and am sure it will be okay.

Anal itch could be caused by several conditions including intestinal worms, poor hygiene, bruises etc. You need to review your anal hygiene, the toilet tissue you use should be soft not to bruise you, and should clean all feces completely.
You will need anti-worm medicine as well such albendazole 400 mg single dose and repeat it in a week's time.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further query, i will be glad to help. If you do not have further query, you could close the discussion and rate the answers
Wishing you good health

Follow-up: Blood test showed AST is 41 and ALT is 81. What does this mean? 4 minutes later
thank you! I was on the pin worm med many time had the tape test was checked for hamaroidis, was on no sugar/starch diet for 2 months the itching was slightly better when i was on diet but still very bad my hygiene is good i just cant nail down and so seems the doctors i saw figure this out.

Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 35 minutes later
thanks again for the query,
Interesting to know that your doctors already figured out the anal itch solution. You should stick to it.
Well, any time, if you have other query, i will be waiting.

If you do not have further query now, you could close the discussion and rate the answers.
Wishing you good health