Blood test showed 10% eosinophil. Having frequent cold and cough. Suggest some cure and medicine

my Eosinophil is 10% in my blood test. Iam having cold and cough frequently for the past 3 months.what is the curative medicine for that
Posted Fri, 19 Oct 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 50 minutes later
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX
After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. You seem to be having recurrent episodes of cough and cold since last 3 months.
2. Your eosinophil count is 10%.
3. Probable diagnosis in your case could be bronchial asthma with allergic rhinitis or tropical pulmonary eosinophilia. Other rare possibilities include eosinophilic lung diseases.
4. You need to get yourself clinically evaluated from a pulmonologist for the same.
5. Some queries that need to be answered are did you ever have similar history in the past including childhood? Do you have history of any allergies? Anyone has similar history in family? Do you smoke? What is your occupation?
6. Investigations required are chest xray, absolute eosinophil count, serum IgE levels, Spirometry, Filaria serological testing (CFA).
7. Based on investigations the management will depend on the results. In asthma you need to take inhalers, oral bronchodilators, anti histaminics, nasal spray for allergic rhinitis. In case of tropical pulmonary eosinophilia a 21 day course of hetrazan is required. Also deworming with albendazole is required.
8. Thus you need to get yourself evaluated as above.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.

Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
Consultant Pulmonologist