Blood test results showed high rheumatoid factor. Family history of lupus. Reason?

My brother recently went to the doctor and was told that his blood test results showed a rhumatoid factor of 60. Apparently this is very high. He is only 30 and has no syptoms of rhumatoid arthritis.He is however very thin depite eating a balanced diet. Could there be any other causes ?
Our mother has lupus, so I wondered whether there could be a connection?
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 9 minutes later
Thanks for the query posted. I would be pleased to answer your question .

Yes , Autoimmune connective tissue diseases do have a hereditary pathogenesis. The fact that his Rheumatoid Factor is high it makes him prone to the arthritis in the years ahead . He should monitor his levels closely every 6 months and look out for symptoms like pain or stiffness in the joints.
Please make sure he should be educated about the importance of Physical exercise and intake of Vitamin D and Calcium.
Thanks and Take care
Follow-up: Blood test results showed high rheumatoid factor. Family history of lupus. Reason? 47 minutes later
Thank you. Do you think this could be linked to another autoimmune disease? What types of physical excercise would be best suited?

Kind regards
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 29 minutes later
Yes , it can be linked to other auto immune disorders.
A thorough blood investigation would give the correct linkage .
Physical exercise like daily walking stretching would be good enough.