Blood test results show low RBC, Hgb, high MCV. On B-12 shots. Wants to do bone marrow biopsy. Lack of RBC due to bone marrow ?

I have low rbc (3.0) hgb (10.9), hct (33.3) and mchc (32.7) I have high mcv (107.6) and mch (35.2) What could be a possible diagnosis? I get b-12 shots for one week every day and the past month one a week. so, why would these still be low? I see a oconologist and he wants to do a bone marrow biopsy. He thinks that my productivity in my rbc of the bone marrow could be not working. Would you agree with this diagnosis based on the test results?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Blood Cancer(Leukemia)
Answered by Dr. Neelam Pawar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

Your complete blood count results reveals that you are having low RBC COUNT, MILD LOW HEMOGLOBIN, HIGH MCV & MCH VALUES which are suggestive that you may have macrocytic anemia in which size of RBC is large and there is high MCV AND MCH VALUES.

The medications which you are taking for depression and fibromyalgia doesnot cause any blood related complication.Other drugs which you are taking are safe.

The most common causes of macrocytic anemia are vitamin B 12 deficiency, folate deficiency, and liver disease BUT there is a broad range of other causes of a high MCV, including increased young red blood cells (reticulocytes), abnormal blood proteins, an early bone marrow disorder .

MCH is usually elevated in macrocytic anemias associated with vitamin B 12 and folate deficiency. YOU have received only one month of VitB12 INJECTION, so quiet possible that with time it can come to normal range that i cannot comment right now without having your serum B12, FERRITIN LEVEL.

IS there any family history of leukemia, bone marrow disorder, myeloproliferative disorder?

Simply monitoring blood counts and deferring bone marrow testing AND WAITING FOR YOUR RBC TO IMPROVE is not unreasonable.

I am sure that the oncology/hematology specialist that you are seeing will fully evaluate you. So please go ahead with your oncologist advice.

Hope I have answered your query. Do revert back with answers to my questions so that I can help you better.