Blood test result, mild neutropenia, WCC in reference range. Cause of concern ?

hi..i have just received my blood test results back and it seems i have mild dr seems to think i have nothing to worry about as my overall WCC is within the ref range...i am still worried about this....
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Neutropenia is a condition in which the number of neutrophils which are a type of WBC’s in the bloodstream are decreased.

Basically neutropenia is caused due to two reasons:

1)     If neutrophils are used up or destroyed in the bloodstream faster than the bone marrow can make new ones.
2)     If the production of neutrophils in the bone marrow is reduced

It will be very helpful for me in understanding your condition better if you could answer some of these questions:

1)     Did you suffer from any recent viral or bacterial infections?
2)     Are you taking any drugs/ medicines?
3)     What symptoms were you having that you were advised a blood count by your doctor?

It is common to find neutropenia in bacterial infections, some allergic disorders, drug treatments like sulpha drygs, chloramphenicol, phenytoin and anticancer drugs and bacterial infections such as tuberculosis, myelofibrosis, or deficiencies of vitamin B12 or folate (folic acid).

Please do write back to me with these answers so that I can help you in a better way and give a detailed explanation.

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Blood test result, mild neutropenia, WCC in reference range. Cause of concern ? 1 hour later

Yes, i have had a viral infection and still getting over it. I am taking Karvezide for blood pressure and lipitor.

I went to the drs for my 6 monthly check and found my neutrophils to be 1.7 and the range is 2 - 8. My overall WCC is within normal range and he said to me nothing to worry about but I am a bit stressed out. Have to see him again in 4 months...
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 5 hours later

You see, the viral infections are usually associated with a normal white cell count and there's a relative decrease in the neutrophil count and a slight increase in the lymphocyte count.

The decrease in neutrophil count is mild and once the viral infection is over the counts should return to normal.

I don't think you need to worry about the same as it is absolutely normal and expected.

You can get a repeat WCC done once the viral infection is over.

I sincerely hope this takes away some of your stress.

Best Wishes