Ask a Urologist   »  

Blood test report shows Heamoglobin-11.7 gm/dl, Urea-26.7 mg/dl, Creatine- 0.8 mg/dl and blood in urine-postive (++. Meaning?

Dear Doctor,
I took my mom for a annual blood and urine test.
Her results are as below:
Heamoglobin - 11.7 gm/dl
Urea- 26.7 mg/dl
Creatine- 0.8 mg/dl
blood in urine - postive (++)
pus cells in urine- 2-3 /hpf
epithelial cells- 1-2 /hpf
RBC's - 10-15 /hpf

what does the above result mean? To brief about her medical history, she was admitted to hospital before two years for infection, which caused excess dehydaration (loose stools) and as a result her renal parameters shoot up and she was on dialysis for 4 to 5 time. Later when the infection went , her kidney started working normally.

My mom is not a diabetic as her sugar leles are within normal limits in a recent test

Kindly advise

Posted Fri, 13 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Aditya Bhabhe 19 minutes later

Your mother's blood tests indicate that the function of the kidneys is within normal limits.
The Urine analysis reports indicate that there is hematuria i.e., presence of blood in the urine.
I suggest that you could confirm this by repeating the urine test.

If it is still positive for blood then I suggest the following course of action:

The three most common causes of hematuria in a 56 year old female patient would be: cancer of urinary tract. Other causes to consider would be gynaecological problems or diseases of the kidney like IgA Nephropathy.

She should get a Urine culture done to rule out infection.
Also needed would be an Ultrasound or a CT Scan of Kidneys- ureter and bladder. This will pick up any stone or cancer.

If the results of these tests are unrevealing she should get a gynaecological check up followed by a consultation with a nephrologist to look for diseases of the kidney.

Hope this was helpful.
Good luck.
Follow-up: Blood test report shows Heamoglobin-11.7 gm/dl, Urea-26.7 mg/dl, Creatine- 0.8 mg/dl and blood in urine-postive (++. Meaning? 8 days later
Dear Doctor,

This is in addition to my mail above.

I have repeated the complete urine analysis test this week and in addition, i have also done the Urine culture test. The results are as below:

blood in urine - postive (++)

pus cells in urine- 2-3 /hpf

epithelial cells- 1-2 /hpf

RBC's - 20-25 /hpf

Urine culture Report:

: Occasional epithelial cell, occasional pus cell, 2
- 3 RBCs/oif and no organism seen.

Culture Report : No growth in culture.

Kindly advise further action to be taken.
Brief Answer:
Further plan of action

Detailed Answer:
Hi there
Thank you for the follow up.

The repeat test shows persistent RBCs in the urine. It confirms that she has hematuria.
The urine culture has no growth which means that the possibility of protein test positive in the report?

If the protein test in the urine is positive (++ or more) then she should see a nephrologist as the cause can be primarily kidney related like IgA Nephropathy. In such cases the nephrologist can do certain specialized blood tests to determine the cause and plan the treatment.

If the protein is trace or negative, I suggest that you get a CT Scan of the kidneys - ureter and bladder (CT KUB in short). This will pick up any stone or cancer or other structural problems. Depending on the results of the scan we can plan further course of treatment.

I would also recommend a routine evaluation by a gynaecologist (which should be a part of regular health check up for any middle aged lady).

Hope this is helpful.
Regards and best wishes
Dr. Aditya Bhabhe