Blood test, glucose level, thyroid level

Hi, i had blood work done and my glucose was 63? i never had any blood work that was abnormal for glucose i check my old lab work and they were all ok. 4/1 it was 85 , 3/1 it was 68, 2/1 it was 94.. is there a problem ? please help ,what symptoms would i have ? is this XXXXXXX ? should i be concerned what can i do? i have a glucose monitor never used it got if from someone are they accurate , my thyroid levels were also fine but tsh was high 5.9 is that ok my levels are out of whack for thyroid for 2 years that is another story but please help on the glucose ? shoould i be concerned
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 25 minutes later

Having blood glucose levels at 63 are a bit low and it usually happens if you remain fasting for long.
If your blood glucose level falls too low (Below50 mg%) then it might cause loss of consciousness or giddiness.
The only remedy is not to remain fasting for long and whenever you feel tired immediately take any glucose drink or anything sweet in taste.
Glucose monitors are usually accurate but they do give 10% error result- depends which one are you using.
Thyroid hormones also has influence over the glucose levels , hence do repeat the test once again soon.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.

Follow-up: Blood test, glucose level, thyroid level 56 minutes later
Just used freestyle freedom lite glucose blood tester it says 115 ? The glucose test was done yesterday that was 63 I had a sandwich before that test yesterday so I don't know why so low? Am I ok ? Just tested at 115 I will do it again to be sure
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

The glucose blood tester you are using is alright and is not likely to give more than 8% error. Doing the test immediately after having a sandwich does not help as a sandwich contains complex sugars which do not raise the blood glucose levels immediately. Having a level of 115 is normal if you have not done it empty stomach.

Please make a note of the Blood sugar levels for a week. Measure both the fasting sugar levels and the post prandial sugar levels. While measuring fasting sugar levels make sure that you do not consume anything, not even water and in post prandial sugar levels, check it after 2 hours of breakfast. Make sure that you do not consume anything between the break fast and the test. And please reply me with the details and do see your doctor with the details too and might require further investigations according to the results as to know the exact cause and any treatment if required.

Hope this answers your query.