Blood test done after taking injections for B12. What does hemoptysis mean?

I went to collect my blood test results for my B12. I had taken injections for B12 over an 8 week period. On the doctors computer screen the notes stated that sample could not be taken due to hemoptysis.

The doctor passed this off as a sample issue and told me go take the blood test again. Is there anything to worry about?
Posted Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Hemoptysis is the coughing up of blood or blood stained sputum, it can come from the nose, mouth,throat, air passages leading to or in the lung.
It is possible that the screen stated that the sample could not have been analysed due to hemolysis. This is a common reason a sample of blood has to be repeated, it means that the red cells in the sample are broken down.
This can occur if the taking of the blood was traumatic, if it was inappropriately handled, processed or transported.It is not a problem with you but how the sample was taken or dealt with.
A hemolysed sample can result in a number of incorrect lab results and the sample has to be repeated.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Blood test done after taking injections for B12. What does hemoptysis mean? 19 hours later
Hi sorry yes you are right it was hemolysis.

Okay that's great. Many thanks.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 3 hours later
Hi, no problem