Blood test done. What does the value signify? What should I do?

Question
I recently got my blood test done, just needed to know ur views on the below :

EOSINOPHILS 6.4
BLOOD UREA NITROGEN PHOTOMETRY 6
VITAMIN B-12 C.L.I.A pg/ml 283
25-OH VITAMIN D TOTAL C.L.I.A ng/ml 3.92
Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing in.

From your reports, I feel your Vit D levels are very low. There is Vitamin D defeciency. Your other reports seem to be within normal limits. Did the values come with a reference range as most labs have it and levels slightly vary according to the test carried out.

Eosinophil count is very slightly elevated. It might be elevated in cases of allergies etc.

With what symptoms did you present which required you to get the above investigations done. Kindly get back to me with your symptoms .

Do visit your doctor as you will be needing Vit D supplementation. Meanwhile expose yourself to the early morning sunlight for half an hour between 6 -8 am as sunlight is an important source of Vit D .

Awaiting your reply.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan

Follow-up: Blood test done. What does the value signify? What should I do? 5 minutes later
Dear Doc XXXXXXX

Had got the test done as a usual routine blood test. No problems / symptoms as such.

ref. range are as below :
EOSINOPHILS (ref. range 0- 6 %) 6.4
BLOOD UREA NITROGEN PHOTOMETRY (ref. range mg/dl 9 - 23) 6
VITAMIN B-12 C.L.I.A pg/ml (Normal : 211 - 911 pg/ml ) 283
25-OH VITAMIN D TOTAL C.L.I.A ng/ml (DEFICIENCY : <6 ng/ml) 3.92

Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for the prompt response.

As per the reference range , your eosinophils seem to be well within limits. An extra .4 doesn't matter.

However your Vit D is low.Vitamin D defeciency can cause osteoporosis, muscle weakness etc later on. As I said it would be better if you went for a morning walk or just stay outdoors for at least 20 minutes everyday between 6 am to 8am and expose yourself to the sunlight . Early morning rays are preferable since they don't have any harmful ultraviolet radiation.

Eat a healthy diet including proteins like (pulses, eggs), calcium like (milk, ragi,) etc .

Have 5ml of cod liver oil (seven seas) once in the morning and once at night after food.

Repeat your Vitamin D level test after 2-3 months after following the above measures.

Hope I have answered your query. In case you don't have any further queries ,kindly accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Have a nice day.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan