Blood test done. How bad is the SGPT according to report. Is there any precaution to be taken?

Hi Below given is my current blood test report :

SGOT (AST) 41.9
SGPT (ALT) 96.8

Lipid Profile : Total Cholestrol 229
Triglycerides: 159
HDL Cholestrol : 39
LDL : 158

VLDL : 32

Total CHO / HDL Ratio 5.9
LDL /HDL Ratio : 4.1

My query is that how bad is the SGPT according to report . Is there any precaution to be taken .

Posted Tue, 13 Nov 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later

Both SGOT and SGPT show mild to moderate elevation. As the elevation is less than 3 times the upper limit it is not that very concerning. But you are concerned about SGPT only! Why not the other also?

1. Elevated liver enzymes can be the result of any insult to the liver – alcohol is the commonest.
Drugs are common causes - especially paracetamol in large doses can cause. Statin given for cholesterol is also a common cause - are you taking them?
Hepatitis viruses A, B, C and so on are also common causes.

The most important thing is to avoid alcohol.
Avoid drugs like statins and paracetamol.
There are no specific medicines - many herbal preparations like Tefroliv forte and Liv 52 are in use in India but not internationally.

2. Of more concern is your LDL cholesterol. LDL (& non-HDL) is bad cholesterol – lower, the better. HDL is good – higher, the better.

Start with diet - avoid Saturated fats – butter, cheese, full cream milk, coconut oil, palm oil, etc. Olive oil is mono-unsaturated and good. Sun flower oil is poly-unsaturated and good.
Regular exercise is also necessary.
Repeat the test in 6 weeks.
If still high, you will need drugs; in general, statin is the first choice – but because of elevated enzymes, fibrates (e.g. Fenofibrate) is preferable. Your doctor will give appropriate prescription.

Hope this answers your query. Please write back if you have any doubts.

Wishing you speedy recovery

Good luck
Follow-up: Blood test done. How bad is the SGPT according to report. Is there any precaution to be taken? 27 minutes later
I have uploaded my Reports , is there any other part which i need to be concern . Like Haemoglobin / WBC etc .
I am having chest pain last few days and ECG reports were normal . DO you want me to upload this .
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 11 hours later
Haemoglobin is normal but on the higher side. Have you been smoking? SGOT is normal according to the lab standardisation. Other things - especially cholesterol - have already been discussed

No need to send ECG - it can be normal. If the ECG is normal and the pain is suggestive of heart disease, a TMT (treadmill exercise ECG) may be needed. Your treating doctor will decide.

Good luck