Blood test done. Found raised monocytes and sgpt level. Should I be worried?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Question
my 23 year old son..6'9"..300lbs..just had blood work done...I am concernedhis moncyte was 10.1 (0-10%)..his SGPT (alt) was 87 (0-45u/l)..hemoglobin,hematocrit.RBC,MCV,MCH,MCHC,RDW COUNTS WERE JUST BARELY BELOW THE HIGH END....HELP !!!
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 33 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing your query.

It will be helpful if you mention whether your son takes alcohol?

Alcohol can result in derangement in liver enzymes.
Liver enzymes can also be increased by some antibiotics.
Super added viral hepatitis can also has adverse effect on liver enzymes.

You should get his complete Liver Function Test (LFT) done to know more about the status of his liver.

Monocytes are cells in the body which help to fight infection. If it is raised it can indicate some infection. But level of 10.1 is not significantly raised.
More can be commented if you provide the complete report including TLC (Total leucocyte count) and DLC (Differential leucocyte count).

If there are any symptoms, you should get him examined clinically.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Blood test done. Found raised monocytes and sgpt level. Should I be worried? 20 hours later
what about the HIGH SGPT (ALT) it was 87 !! range was (0-45)..no one the tylenol & asprin...yes on alcohol but not abusive..

Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 2 hours later

Thanks for providing more information.

SGPT is a liver enzyme and I have already mentioned about the cause of increase in its level - liver enzymes.
Both tylenol(paracetamol) and the aspirin, in addition to alcohol, can have adverse effects on liver, resulting in increase in liver enzymes.

You should get his complete Liver Function Test (LFT) done to know about other biochemical parameters of the liver.

I hope this answers your query. If you have any further doubts, please feel to write back.

Regards.