Blood test done. Found mild degree of vitamin B12 deficiency, few crenated rbcs. Treatment required?

I am 30y/male, vegetarian since 15years. Without doctors consultation, I checked my Vitamin B12 which came - <159ng/ml ( Normal range-239-931 ng/ml, and folate 8.25ng/ml (Normal range-1.04-2.79ng/ml).My hemoglobin is 15.8g/dl, MCV-84.8, MCH29.6, MCHC-34.9.Peripheral blood smear showed
RBC-Anisocytosis,poikilocytosis, few crenated RBCs, and few target cells seen.Normochromic.
WBC & Platelets- Normal on blood film.

What treatment options do I have?Please give your valuable advice.
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

This is a very good question and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

You have a mild degree of anemia. There are some changes on your blood film which might be related to your low B12 level. These changes might completely resolved with some supplementation.

One option would be for you to receive injections of vitamin B 12 at your primary care doctor. They might consider doing this on a monthly basis. Another option would be for you just to take an oral vitamin B12 supplement. This would be a reasonable approach. You might consider taking an oral supplement daily for about three months and then have your vitamin levels checked again.

At this point I do not see anything that is very worrisome. This is certainly treatable with supplementation and I would generally recommend you O'Cain and oral supplement to take care of this.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns.

Dr. Galamaga