Blood test done. Found elevated alkaline phosphatase level. Should I be concerned?

Thank you. I just received some blood results from a health fair and my alkaline phosphatase tested at 137. Is this something I should be concerned about?
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 hours later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Alkaline phosphate (ALP) is a parameter used to check on the liver and/or the bone. When we have an increased ALP, the possible conditions could be:

1. Liver condition: When there are symptoms relating to a possible liver condition, then, along with the ALP we also look for any abnormalities in parameters like alanine aminotransferase(ALT), aspartate aminotransferase(AST) and bilirubin. An abnormality in these parameters, indicates a liver condition. This could be anything from an infection to a tumor. Thus further investigation will be required

2. Bone condition: If a bone condition is suspected then we will have to look in to parameters like calcium and phosphorus. If these parameters are abnormal, this points towards a bone condition resulting from increased bone activity. This could again range from a disease to tumors

Please also note that in rare cases when only the ALP is raised, the possible causes could be:
-Healing bone injuries (eg. fractures)
-Medication (eg. anti-epileptics, etc.)
and a few other conditions.

I would thus request you to first look into the other parameters mentioned above, and then consult your doctor for a follow up on the elevated ALP levels, in order to rule this harmless.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, or you could rate my answers after closing this discussion.

Best wishes.