Blood test confirmed postmenopausal. Have swollen breast with menstrual cramps. Proper diagnosis?

Hi, last April I went to see my gynecologist as I'd had 2 periods after a break of 2 years. I'm 53 years old and a blood test confirmed that I'm biochemcally and clinically post-menopausal. Ultrasound found nothing and I was advised to try Vagifem for dryness and decreased blood supply to my vaginal wall. I didn't get the script and went on with no more bleeding until now, a year later almost. A week ago my breasts were really swollen and sore for a few days and today I woke up with mentrual cramps and bleeding.
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 minutes later
The symptoms that you are having are likely to be due to hormonal changes during perimenopause.
It is good that your investigations were normal one year ago.
You can wait for this bleeding to subside spontaneously in next few days.
In case the bleeding persists then hormonal treatment will be needed.
You can consult your gynecologist for your annual check up to rule out any serious problems after proper investigations including endometrial biopsy.
In case you are taking any other medicines like aspirin then it needs to be stopped and platelet dysfunction also needs to be ruled out.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal
Follow-up: Blood test confirmed postmenopausal. Have swollen breast with menstrual cramps. Proper diagnosis? 3 hours later
Hello, thankyou for answering my question but I have a query, my bloodtests confirmed that I was post menopausal so I don't think I am in peri-menopause?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
If the blood tests have confirmed the menopause then you need to have an endometrial biopsy and check your coagulation profile to identify any bleeding disorders. Raised levels of FSH confirm the menopause.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.