Blood test, CT scan, vaginal scan done. What are the findings? Should I go for colonoscopy?

Hi again, Dr. Narasi, and thanks for encouraging me to see my doc--holy moly, I am glad I took your advice and didn't wait any longer. My docs at City of Hope jumped on things and this past week I have had a number of tests, exams, blood tests and CT scan and vaginal scan. They are hoping to get me in to see a gastro asap...and then a colonoscopy. Meanwhile, I am having trouble making sense of the lab results and wondered if you could translate them for me into English until I see my internist next week. The spiral CT scan of the ab and pelvis without IV contrast shows of colon fluid filled; suggestion of mild pericolonic inflammation stranding present, Noted narrowing of colon in rectosigmoid junction; possibly a contraction, small bowel loops normal in caliber, no free fluid or lymphadenopathy see within abdomen or pelvis. no acute osseous abnormalities seen. CT of spleen, gallbladder, biliary system, pancreas, adrenal glands and kidneys grossly unremarkable. urinary bladder, uterus and adnexa grossly unremarkable. colon somewhat diffusely prominent, possible very mild pericolonic inflammation change present, correlate for clinical presense of colitisa and correlation with colonoscopy recommended to exclude possibility of constricting colonic mass in this area. My TSH was practically nonexistant:0.01; cholesterol and blood pressure were excelllent and CEA and C125 were both negative. Any connex with thyroid or Interstitital cystitis going on here? Thanks again so much for your help,
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 3 hours later
Hello again,

I am really glad that your doctors are paying close attention to your problems. First, let me tell you
that you did not have any enlarged lymph nodes or any signs of spread of cancer to any other organs.
Small intestine, according to the report was normal. They describe an area of narrowing at the junction
of rectum and sigmoid colon (Part of S curve in the lower large bowel on the left side). If I remember correctly, this may be the same general area where the initial CT-Scan had shown thickening. They also describe changes of inflammation surrounding the wall of the colon which might indicate some type
of colitis. I am glad to see that your CEA and CA-125 were normal. All this leads to, the final findings may belong to colonoscopy and biopsy results.

Hope you will be scheduled for that soon. I do not believe that the Thyroid and Interstitial cystitis problem has anything to do with this. But, autoimmune problems can co-exist such as "Crohn's Colitis".

I wish you the very best.
Follow-up: Blood test, CT scan, vaginal scan done. What are the findings? Should I go for colonoscopy? 5 hours later
Thanks again, Dr. Narasim for putting things into English for me. It was a challenge to understand--and I wite about health every day! You're ab. right--a lot of my friends with IC also have colitis--the diseases seems to run together. I eat a lowish carb diet--mostly cause hubby needs to lose so i like to help him by cooking healthy. i live in the high XXXXXXX and its hard in the winter to eat enough fresh produce as it all goes bad in a few days. Should i try to introduce more fiber into my diet aka oatmeal, XXXXXXX flaxseed, try frozen veggies like spinach, ditch the stimulant laxes and try a bulk-type one?
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 4 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

I agree with you about adding fiber to your diet.

All the things that you mention are good and wholesome.

Make sure that your fluid intake is also adequate, that is important.

Have a great day.