Blood taste in mouth, blood in saliva, nasal congestion, sore throat, past history of sinus, IBS, bloating, virus infection. Treatment ?

I'm female 31, 5ft 6, 9st 12 and don't suffer any medical conditions. the last two mornings, whilst in the shower I have had the taste of blood in my mouth, when i spit there is blood in the salvia. It only seems to happen in the shower and is clear after i spit once or twice. I'm not coughing up this blood and have no cough but I have had nasal congestion a bit and a sore throat. I do suffer with sinus congestion and have been effected by nasal drip and had 2 viruses this year which lasted 3 weeks plus and affected my sinuses and throat. I have also been suffering with IBS which causes stomach bloating and nausea on and off. The appearence of blood is worrying me, please advice?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 27 minutes later

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.

I understand you need help with your condition.

I would need you to answer the following questions before I can provide a close possibility of what your condition is.
1. Have you got problems with the ear/hearing/oral ulcers ?
2. Your medication history for your sinus and throat conditions.
3. IBS(like treatment and your present issues.

My advice to you for now:
1. Wash you mouth with clean, cold water, and with some good diluted glycerine mouthwash (don't swallow) just keep it in the mouth for a few seconds.
2. Get you sinuses follow up again, probably with Head Xrays.
3. Review your treatment and status of IBS with your doctor.
4. Reduce stress levels, might contribute to mouth ulcers.

Here, it is important that you know the connection between IBS and mouth ulcers.
Very common. But, your condition since it is 1st episode needs confirmation with the above advice.

I do hope you are with the support group of IBS, just to keep you in the loop knowledge wise. If it is indeed mouth ulcer bleeding, then you would probably have to go on a course of water soluble vitamins for 2-4 weeks, and go on a diet of greens for a while. Get help with your stress, if you can steer that then IBS will listen to you and your bowels will be behave. This is in a nutshell for the moment.

I hope I have answered your concern on a broad sense, now.

If you have additional questions regarding these recommendations or further new queries as you prepare to make decision regarding future care, you should not hesitate to contact me.

Follow-up: Blood taste in mouth, blood in saliva, nasal congestion, sore throat, past history of sinus, IBS, bloating, virus infection. Treatment ? 1 hour later
I have had problems with chronic sinusitis and when I have colds/coughs I tend to go down with sinusitis. It will effect my hearing when my sinuses are bad in the sense that I get that feeling of pressure in my ears. Also I have recently quit smoking and initially used an e-cig which produces a water vapour made from poly glycerine. I have since stopped this as it was causing my mouth to go dry and I had sores in my mouth on the first week of starting using it. I also have experienced a sore throat mildly a few days after quitting smoking but it went away.

The ibs can be stress related but it is also effected with food intolerances, I find a gluten free diet helps to control symptoms a lot. But since quitting smoking i've found that i've experienced more bloating and nausea. I've suffered with IBS for about 10 years but diet changes I have made have helped. I do suffer with constipation and I have used fibrogel in the past to help. But since stopping smoking the constipation has gotten worse.
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 12 minutes later
Hello again,

Thanks for the answers.

As you can see in the 3 answers you wrote,
1. Your sinusitis is more than an isolated problem, and has been recurring. So, one would suspect a lingering bed of infection in there that has not been removed by previous treatments maybe, but review that now again.
2. Smokers tend have a compromised respiratory tract anyway, so I am really glad you have come of it. It might have contributed to your sinus stubbornness even.
3. Yes, you are right. Till date, the actual cause of IBS remains elusive - and only the known factors are treated. You have done your dietary job well, and do continue with the regimens.

Don't worry it will take time for your body to get adjusted to the absence of nicotine in the blood (due to cigarettes in the past) and the constipating and other effects will die down. But, reviewing IBS would remain periodically as you would be aware.

Finally, then the possibility of mouth ulcers (aphthous ulcers) looks more meaningful to me than an ENT cause at the moment. You need a physical examination by ENT surgeon for the exact cause.

Hope this serves as a good guide when you talk out to your doctor.