Blood supply to brain cut off after strangulation. How long does it take for nerve cells to start dying?

Oncologist
Question
I was choked on the XXXXXXX by my friend. Blood stopped pumping to my brain. How long does it take for my nerve cells in my cerebral cortex to start to die?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 39 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

I am sorry to hear that your friend choked you recently. If you're concerned for your personal safety and feel threatened I recommend that you bring this to the attention of your local authorities.

Regarding your other question regarding how long you might expect your cerebral cortex to survive before suffering damage is generally several minutes before this is the case. Generally with cases of suffocation a person needs to be without blood floor oxygen for more than one or 2 min. before we start to worry about what is medically called hypoxia.

If you experienced this choking episode lasting less than a minute or only for a few seconds I am not very concerned and I think you will be fine. I am sure there is some degree of mental trauma that is associated with the experience you had as well. I am sure otherwise that your body will fully recover and you will not have any long-term detrimental effects to worry about.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful informative and reassuring. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Robert