Blood sugar level not getting controlled even after medication. Worrisome

Hello doctor,
Why does the Sugar Level in my Mother Report not reduce inspite of following strict medications and physical activity ? She is tensed .. Pls help
Posted Sat, 23 Feb 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Chitra Reddy 2 hours later

I would like to mention you that, among the list of medications you have given, glycifit is the only medication that helps in glucose control.
The 2 others are for lipid control and hypertension.

I could not receive your reports, so I have not gone through them. But according to the information I received, the advice that I can provide you is that, the dose of the medication for glucose control can be increased (2 to 3 tabs per day) or a drug combination [Tab GP 2 etc.] may also be used if needed. You need to consult the doctor for change of medication.

Along with good diet plan and physical activity, the medication should be of adequate dosage for proper glucose control.
With slight changes in medication, situation comes to your control; so tell your mother not to worry, because increase in worry and tensions rises sugar levels despite of all the efforts you put in.
Tell her to reduce weight if she is obese.

Hope I answered your query. Feel free to contact me for further queries.

Follow-up: Blood sugar level not getting controlled even after medication. Worrisome 2 hours later
Thank you doctor so much for your valuable feedback . I am trying to attach the 2 reports again so that you can have a better overview and need your valuable comment once again about the report and how far she is at risk.

Regarding the wt - she is 64 kgs only
Regarding increase of dosage actually when she takes glycifit 2 times it doesnt suit her.
Her doctor says that you can atleast half tablet in the evening .
Is there any other medicine which is more effective .

Also pls advise brown rice should be used totally instead of white rice .
Answered by Dr. Chitra Reddy 1 hour later
Thanks for the information.

64 kgs may be considered normal if her height is above 5ft 4inches, if not ask your doctor about BMI (weight for height) and come to a conclusion.

As far as the reports are concerned, every level is in normal range in lipid report

In addition, yes blood glucose and urine sugars are high
Raised ESR indicates some infection (not very specific)

Regarding the medication, my advice would be half tab GP2 in the morning and glycifit in the night.

Discuss it with your treating doctor.

Yes brown rice has a low glycemic index (55) compared to white rice’s (70). The Glycemic index (GI) is a grading indicator of foods based on their immediate effect on blood sugar levels. Low GI food is advised for diabetic diet.) Therefore, it is good to have 2 to 3 servings of brown rice per week.

Hope I answered your query.

Thank you
Follow-up: Blood sugar level not getting controlled even after medication. Worrisome 3 days later
Thanks doctor for your advise .

Some more queries ...
a) Medicines prescribed should be taken before meals or after .
b) Is Glucometer effective and should we check frequently. Can we buy one. If yes which one do u recomeend to buy.
c) While doing the urine test , urine should be collected early in the morning -first urine collected at say 2.00 a.m ( normally she gets up at that time ) or early in the morning( 5.00 a.m

Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Chitra Reddy 8 hours later
The medications discussed earlier can be taken before meals.

Blood glucose monitoring at home should be complimentary to regular checkups and testing blood glucose at hospital.
Yes, the accuracy of values obtained at home varies with that of lab tests. So these are to be used only to get a rough idea of what is going on in our body. The accuracy depends on the type of glucometer, its functioning, collection of sample etc and brands like accucheck go well in the market.

Early morning urine sample is best called as 8-hourspecimen,I think you got the concept now, the first morning specimen is collected when the patient first wakes up in the morning, having emptied the bladder before going to sleep.
Urine can be collected over any eight-hour period, for patients who have atypical work/sleep schedules.(like in your mother’s case). But even if you want to collect at 2 am, see to it that there is a gap of 8 hours .
Hope I answered your query.
Thank you