Blood sugar increased during pregnancy. What could be the reason?

May 2013
Hi, I am carrying 9 months now. During 1st and 2nd trimester sugar test it was under control. but now it is incresed to 20 points(out of range). More over i'm not eating more sweets. May be per day 1 or 2. i'm taking my friuts and others stuffs regularly. what could be the reason for this sudden change?
Posted Fri, 14 Sep 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
thanks for the query.

appearance of high blood sugar level first time during pregnancy is called gestational diabetes,
diabetes occurrence is not related to taking sweets contrary to general belief,
the possible causes of diabetes in your case are,
-with progression of gestational age especially in third trimester insulin(hormone which regulates blood sugar levels) resistance increases,
-insulin ability to control blood sugar level decreases,
-hormones like progesterone, estradiol, cortisol etc will lead to further decreasing insulin ability,
-there will be increased destruction of insulin by kidney and placenta in pregnancy.

obesity, hypertension, age above 25 years, family history of diabetes, race etc are risk factors for gestational diabetes.

so because of above factors you might have developed gestational diabetes.
you have to be careful now and have to maintain strict glycemic control.
for more details you can read my article:

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.