Blood sugar, cholesterol and thyroid profile test report above normal range. What are the risk?

Question
My mother is 54 years old. She had her Blood sugar, Total cholesterol and Thyroid profile tested yesterday. All're above normal and am concerned to know how severe they're and what shall happen in long term. So, please respond to my every query below.

1) Is she considered diabetic now?
2) How severe is her hypothyroidism and is decreased T4 (from previous result) meaning something more?
3) What're the possible complications that could occur because of this TSH being 8.65?
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 42 minutes later
Thanks for your query to this forum,
I can understand your concern about your mother. I would request you to upload a scanned copy of your mother's reports so that I can explain in a better way.
a. As far as diabetes is concerned, the fasting blood sugar level has to be >125 mg/dL and the post prandial blood sugar has to be >200 mg/dL. Let me know her blood sugar level so that I can comment on the same.
b. Her TSH is 8.65 which is slightly high which indicate mild Hypothyroidism which can be treated by giving Thyroxine. This is a prescription drug and please see your physician for a prescription of the same.
c. We should not be looking at any major complications if the hypothyroidism gets treated
Once I get detail reports, I can explain better.
Awaiting your response.
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.

Follow-up: Blood sugar, cholesterol and thyroid profile test report above normal range. What are the risk? 29 minutes later
Please respond to my every query, in my initial note above. I have attached the pdf file comparison of latest 2 results.

The recent results show further abnormality than the previous (as in attachment). What does it implicate?

Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 43 minutes later
Thanks for your input,
I have seen the reports of your mother dated 17/11/2012 which shows random blood sugar level 154 mg. Taking this sugar level, she is in non-diabetic range and she need to get FBS( fasting blood sugar) and PPBS (post prandial blood sugar )level done.
Her total cholesterol and LDL are 220 and 151 mg/dl respectively which is slightly high than normal.
Her TSH was 11.22 micro IU /ml. and now it is 8.65 micro IU/ml, which is less . I would like to know if she is taking treatment for it?
In hypothyroidism, it is possible to have elevated cholesterol level; her hypothyroidism is mild and should improve with treatment.
Hypothyroidism can cause swelling all over body, slow heart rate and cold intolerance.
Hope this is useful to you, if you have further query please ask, I will be happy to help.
Regards.
Dr.Akhilesh Dubey M.D.

Follow-up: Blood sugar, cholesterol and thyroid profile test report above normal range. What are the risk? 10 minutes later
For some reason, I couldn't upload the pdf file. The latest results are

Fasting Blood Sugar (Method (GOD POD)     123 mg/dl
Total cholesterol (CHOD - PAP)     253 mg/dl
T3 TOTAL (ECLIA)     119 ng/dl
T4 TOTAL (ECLIA)     5.49 ug/dl
TSH (ECLIA)     8.65 ulU/ml

Respond to ALL ,my queries in the last 2 response/discussion items.

Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 45 minutes later
Thanks for giving latest values of reports.
Please note following are my comments.
1) She is not diabetic at present although she can take care about her diet avoiding too much refined sugars in diet.
2) Her T4 is less as compared to previous result but there is nothing to worry if she is taking treatment it should improve.
3) Her TSH is slightly more which indicate mild Hypothyroidism which may be the cause for her high cholesterol also.
4) She should take care of diet avoiding too much fats like butter, Ghee, Coconut oil and animal fats in diet. Her complete lipid profile including LDL, HDL and triglyceride levels also need to be done. Depending on the levels, she may need a prescription for a drug called statin.
Please consult local Physician for proper prescription.
Hope I have answered your query, if there is nothing please accept my answer and close this discussion.
Regards.
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.