Blood smear test showing ruptured cells and diagnosed with anemia. Should I be worried about cancer?

ive been diagnosed of having anemia then i had 22 small bruises on my legs then when i went to the doctor she advice me to have a blood smear and the result was my cells are easily raptured and my cells shape is teardrops..then she told me that i need an hematologist to have a treatment..i was so confused about it...and as far as i know ive done 3 blood transfussion before when i had a surgery and when i gave birth then they said the proteins in my blood are not ihave a disease? or is my blood disorder can lead to blood cancer/leukemia
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Bone marrow disorder. Detailed Answer: Dear XXXX Thanks for posting your question in healthcare magic. Since you have not given the complete blood picture I cannot make out the extent of your present problem. The presence of tear drop cells in your smear examination suggests that you are suffering from a bone marrow disorder which is technically called MYELOFIBROSIS . This is a condition where the marrow is replaced by fibrous bands which distort the shape of red blood cells making them tear drop pattern. These cells have less survival time and get destroyed quickly and give rise to anaemia. There are many reasons to cause this condition. I will advise you to visit a hematologist who will perform the bone marrow biopsy and ask for some more investigations to establish the cause and suggest you the treatment as per findings. Though it is a chronic progressive disorder ultimately turning to leukemia but with proper treatment and supportive measures it may be possible to arrest the progression of the disease. I wish you good luck but be mentally strong as the self confidence gives the diseases a good challenge. Truly, Dr. J. Ticku