Blood seen in stool. Feeling abdominal pain and bloated stomach. Could it be IBS?

Oncologist, Surgical
I notice red colored semi solid particleS within my stool, they are not continous i see it at different places of my stool, i don't see this always,
but i see only certain times, currently from the past week i see it, i see this over past few years(3 years approx).

sometimes i feel pain in my abdomen for short time and it disappears automatically,
and sometimes i feel my stomach is bloated, even this disappears automatically.

i feel very uncomfortable when i wear pant or belt which is very tight at my abdomen.

I weigh around 60 Kgs, and have not gained weight over many years.

I also pass stool twice or once a day , which is semi solid.

currently i am not taking any medications.
My apetite is good.

I consulted some of the local doctors ,
they tested by pressing my abdomen to see if i feel
any pain, they said i am normal.

some said it could be IBS.

they also asked me to do blood in stool test, but, the result was no blood in stool,
this could be because as i stated above, i don't see it always in my stool.

Because of these symptoms,i follow certain best practises:
I don't eat spicy food, i do yoga daily for one hour daily early morning.

Could you please let me know why i face such symptoms?
how to confirm if have some health issue?
how to recover from this?

Thanks in advance.

Posted Fri, 20 Jul 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rohan Khandelwal 1 hour later

I can see that you are very concerned about your symptoms and I am glad that you are seeking medical advice for the same.

Blood in stools is a very common symptom with many causes. Your history suggests that you may be suffering from hemorrhoids (piles) in which you can notice occasional blood in your stools. Piles can be associated with some bloating sensation of the abdomen and pain.

If you have pain in your peri-anal region along with bleeding, it could be because of a fissure (cut in the anal skin). This can lead to bleeding and pain.

IBS) is an unlikely cause of your symptoms because there is no bleeding in this condition. Stool for occult blood can be negative sometimes and that is why it should be repeated at least 3 times.

As you have been having pain abdomen and bleeding, I would suggest that you visit a surgeon and have yourself examined (digital rectal examination/ proctoscopy), which will rule out hemorrhoids and a fissure. The doctor might even suggest that you undergo a colonoscopy, which will help in detecting any other abnormality with your bowels.

I can see that you are following a healthy lifestyle (yoga, avoiding spicy food) and this is good for your condition. In addition, you should consume more roughage (green vegetables and fruits), as it can help in regularizing your bowel movements and improve the symptoms of hemorrhoids and fissures.

Hope you get well soon.

Do write back for follow up queries that you may have.