Blood report stated raise in bilirubin, abnormal ALT and AST levels. Requires immediate attention?

Good

Gastroenterologist
Question
I have had a recent blood work up and had some concerns. My ALT was 93 U/L and my AST 28 U/L. My Alkaline Phosphate is 122 U/L. My Total bilirubin is 2.1 mg/dL and direct bilirubin 0.4

Wondering how concerning this is and if it deserves immediate attention?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 4 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query.

The elevated AST and ALT levels occur with inflammation or problems of either - Liver/ muscle / lungs / red blood cells / heart. ALT raise is more specific for liver injuries than AST.

The type of bilirubin raise where the direct component is less is usually seen in diseases associated with destruction of RBCs and in some inherited disorders of liver like Gilbert's syndrome (AST & ALT are normal here)

Considering both conditions explaining both are -
1) Alcohol ingestion
2) Systemic infection including malaria
3) Some drugs

As I have not much information on these I will not be able to advice further. Most of these conditions cause a transient elevation and normalization is seen in 4 weeks .

Dr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Blood report stated raise in bilirubin, abnormal ALT and AST levels. Requires immediate attention? 9 hours later
I will follow up with this. I have had other blood work over the last 5-7 years and my bilirubin has always been a total of 2.0-2.2 somewhere in there. So it has been that for some time as I remember. It is not a new thing!

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 14 hours later
Hi and thanks for the followup,

In that case you need to rule out hemolysis and gilberts syndrome. A detailed physical examination and careful evaluation will help us in rule out the above possibilities.

Discuss with your gastroenterologist.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns. And if all your queries are addressed, please close this discussion.

Dr XXXXXXX