Blood report shows low IgG1 and low IgG3. What does this mean?

Hello Again Doctor XXXXXXX I just wanted to add that my resp doc has gon through all my old bloods, they found low IgG1 and very very low IgG3 - could you tell me what this means, I am concered that this could be HIV and CMV and wanted your feedback, anyhow I hope you remember me PS they did ABG and it iwas at 60 lying down bu 77 standing up, so they are going to MRI my heart today for a shunt.
Posted Fri, 20 Dec 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 35 hours later
Hi It sounds like you have an immunodeficiency. I don't necessarily think of HIV off the bat. There are other kinds of immunodeficiencies....some are transient and some are more long lasting. Do you have any infiltrates on your chest x-ray? Fevers? Night sweats? If you can answer these questions it will be very helpful. Regards
Follow-up: Blood report shows low IgG1 and low IgG3. What does this mean? 10 hours later
Hi Doc, Yes they have diagnosed me with CVID - I am not completely convinced - but it does fit all the symptoms - they have repeated the IgG subclass tests and found that I am definately immunocomprimised. I have had patchy infultrates and strange liquid in the bottom of both lungs in most CT scans I have had, they always said it was inflamation of some kind. Bronch Biopsies have found squamous metaplasia and each biopsy has always found the cells have chronic inflamation. I have always had pain just under and in my ribs, right around the diagpragm on the left side - it never goes away and is worse when sitting still, my lungs tend to feel inflamed each night before going to bed but CPAP dries them out and makes them feel better. Running makes me feel great - but my O2 sats are just so unpredictable, I cant get over 90% constantly, but it will jump from 98 to 85 if a few seconds. They did an MRI of the heart with contrast and found no shunt, they did an ultrasound of the spleen and again found it enlarged. I still have the dripping sinus, but it almost feels like the gunk that goes down, cant come back up, almost like the mucus is so thick it wont budge, I have tried breathing excercises and I was running but doctor has told me to stop it, even though the running makes me feel so much better. They have injected me with pnuemococcil vaccine (spelling) to see if my titers respond and if not then they want to insert a "port a cath" inside me to allow for easy drawing of blood and possible intravent treatment going forward. I was always told my immune system was OVERACTIVE as it seemed to be attacking my joints and lungs - they did a trial of methotrexate and prednisone some years back and I got very very sick and blacked out with fever driving a car with foot stuck on the pedal. I still think I have an underlying autoimmune overactivity, but my IgG results show that is not the case (can they get burnt out from over activity) Qtns... 1/ Whats the outlook for CVID - how will it affect my life - will I be able to play sport and work etc. 2/ Will the low O2 sats eventually cause problems with my organs 3/ I have good insurance for salary continuance - is CVID something that could XXXXXXX me total permanent disability? 4/ Is there any other diseases that could cause my symtpoms and the reduced IgG? 5/ How did I acquire this - what is likely? could it have been from an immunisation vacine in 2008 - is it possible that something toxic is in my blood? The doctor told me without treatment - I would live for 2 years but with treatment of Intravent I could live another 15-20 years but he mentions I have organ involvement and already damaged lungs and an overexposure to radiation so I may not last as long as others. Not at all scared to die, not even upset with the diagnosis, but I want to know if anything contagious could cause this - as I dont want my girlfriend to be unwell, they tested her and found Hiv negative CMV IgG - Positive EBV VCA IgG - Positive EBV EBNA IgG - Positive IgM 1.7 (slightly elovated) All other IgG were fine I dont get night sweats or fevers Look forward to your response