Blood report showing high liver enzymes. Should I be worried about the findings?

General Surgeon
hi i just received blood results back and cant reach my doctor. my liver enzymes seem to be high. ALT is 94 AST is 48 bilirubin was normal as well as others.
Posted Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Mild liver problem. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Your liver enzymes are only slightly elevated. It does not indicate anything serious. Such results can be caused by fatty liver, spicy foods, fatty foods, medicines (like pain killers) or alcohol intake. This factors usually give a hard time to the liver so some of its cells gets harmed. But if the factor will be removed, liver should get back to health in a month or so. I suggest you to have abdominal ultrasound as an additional test to see if there is any fatty liver. You should also have cholesterol checked. Please avoid fatty foods, spicy foods and alcohol. Liver tests should be repeated after a month. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow-up: Blood report showing high liver enzymes. Should I be worried about the findings? 28 minutes later
since the pregnancy I've only been taking herbalife protein shakes for breakfast and lunch and then a normal dinner. I'm more concerned about the surgery from the past that was botched. I'm just concerned that my liver is damaged or there is something serious going on. I have an ultrasound scheduled for Friday but I'm super nervous. how far off am I on the enzyme levels?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Your liver is just fine. It is really hard to damage liver. Usually it takes even 10 to 20 years of constant damaging. When there is a serious liver damage, AST and ALT levels are around 1000!. So yours are really only slightly elevated. Referential ranges for ALT and AST are from 5-40 U/l (ranges may vary depending of the laboratory). So please relax and do not get so nervous, not because of the liver. Ultrasound will tell if there is any fatty liver. And even if there is, its reversible. Regards.