Blood report showing Amylase value 218.92 and lipase value is 87. Suggest the preventive measure and diet for the same

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hi, I got the Blood report done for my dad and in it the Amylase value found is 218.92 U/L the normal range given is 28-100 U/L and the Lipase value found is 87 the Normal range given is 5.6-51.3 U/I . His age is 67. There is no Medical History. Kindly advice me on this and the consequences and whether the values are too high or are these Panic Values? Also what are the preventive measures and dietary for the same
Posted Tue, 5 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer given below.

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you.

The amylase level is more than 2 times the upper limit of normal and it is significant.
The lipase level is little less than 2 times the upper limit of normal.
When these two are taken together, they are significantly increased and may indicate pancreatitis.
A contrast enhanced CT scan may be done for confirmation and to assess the severity.
Some of the factors that can cause pancreatitis are alcohol intake,gallstones, very high cholesterol levels.
When I saw the lab report, I could see his cholesterol levels are only mildly raised.
You can discuss with his doctor to get a contrast enhanced CT scan done.
If he has the habit of drinking alcohol, he needs to stop that.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Blood report showing Amylase value 218.92 and lipase value is 87. Suggest the preventive measure and diet for the same 28 minutes later
Hi Sir,

Thanks for your prompt reply. My father has never taken alcohol. I forgot to mention this. Also he is leaving for US this Saturday i.e. 19/10/2013 for 6 months. As suggested by you will get the CT scan done. And as asked previously what are the preventive measures and dietary(food) for the same? Any special precautions?

XXXX

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer given below.

Detailed Answer:
The first step is to confirm pancreatitis with CT scan.
Once it is confirmed, the precipitating factor should be looked for.
Alcohol intake is the most common cause and you have mentioned he never drinks alcohol.
Other causes like gallstones should be ruled out.
As such there is no specific diet or special precaution required.
The only preventive measure is to avoid alcohol and you have mentioned he never drinks alcohol.
The next step now is to get CT scan done.
Let me if I can assist you further.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini