Blood report showed normocytic normochromic with ovalocytes. What does this mean?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013
Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
Blood report indicating normocytic normochromic with ovalocytes: What does it indicate
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 31 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic,

Normochromic and normocytic means the red blood cells are in normal shape and have the normal content of hemoglobin.

The normal shape of red blood cell is Biconcave.

Ovalocytes are abnormal red blood cells, have pale centres and are in oval or elliptical shape.

Ovalocytes are present in patients with anemias like hemolytic anemia, thalassemia, and the hereditary type of elliptocytosis.

Presence of ovalocytes in blood doesn't pinpoint a diagnosis and other investigations are required depending on the clinical presentation and evaluation of any anemia.

But the presence of ovalocytes is not indicative a diagnosis, but this should be interpreted with the other blood investigations like hemoglobin, iron, ferritin, and the other related investigations.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Blood report showed normocytic normochromic with ovalocytes. What does this mean? 9 minutes later
hemoglobin, iron values are in normal range. Does it require any further medico consultency?

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for getting back,

As the hemoglobin and iron values are normal, nothing to worry.

The presence of ovalocytes doesn't require any further medical consultation or referral.

But the complete reports to be interpreted by the Doctor who advised the investigations and they should be correlated with the clinical symptoms and findings of his examination of the patient.

If the doctor thinks it is significant and relevant to the clinical scenario, he may order for further investigations like Hb electrophoresis, RBC menbrane studies, and RBC enzyme assays if required.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please feel free to consult me.

Regards.