Blood pressure reading was 220/90. What does this indicate?

Hi my father went to the doctors yesterday and his blood pressure reading was 220/90. I know between 70 and 90 is normal but im not sure what the 220 means?c
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Accelerated hypertension, needs monitoring and treatment

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic!
The blood pressure change in the cardiac cycle. The upper reading is called systolic BP that reflects heard muscle contraction, Lower reading is called diastolic BP and corresponds to cardiac relaxation phase. Normal BP is 120/80mmHg.
Now you can understand your father is having a serious condition that should be treated in a hospital under monitoring at least in initial period.
The cause of hypertension is constitutional mostly.
But certain 5-10percent patients may be having treatable cause like renal impairment, excessive salt intake, XXXXXXX syndrome etc.
So you should get him reviewed to a physician while in hospital.
I hope the advise will be informative and helpful for you.