Blood pressure reading is 117 over 93. Normal?

Blood pressure reading is 117 over 93. Is that bad and should I seek medical care right away
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No, its not bad

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Your blood pressure is in the range of pre-hypertension. It is just one reading. You need three readings to come to a conclusion. It means that it does not need medicines, it will need regular blood pressure monitoring and it will come in the range of high blood pressure if it is not taken care of. It also means that your blood vessels may be becoming stiff due to deposition of fat on their lining or even age may be a factor.

For now, you do not need medical care right away unless you have any other symptoms that need medical attention. But you do need some lifestyle changes. Thus I will advice you the following:

- Get your blood pressure measured atleast every 6 months or even earlier in case of symptoms like headache, chest pain, palpitations, etc.

- Take low calorie diet. High calorie food is mostly milk products like cheese, butter, ghee, cream, ice-cream, etc. Take small amount of food at a time.

- Take more fiber in diet like high fiber digestive biscuits, fruits and raw vegetables, etc.

- Exercise daily for at least 20 min a day. Exercise can include walk, yoga, gym, cycling, swimming, etc. Take a small snack before you go for exercise. Also do not over-exert beyond your limits.

- Try to lose some weight if overweight.

- Get blood tests done that may include lipid profile, liver function tests, kidney function tests, hemogram, blood glucose levels, etc. Also get urinalysis done. You will need a prescription for the same.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Dr Vaishalee