Blood pressure reading 140/70. Suffer with high anxiety. Advice?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
my blood pressure reading in a health check was 140/70. I have had a lot of stress of late, and it has come down but the nurse said the 70 part was a worry. I am 66, active, slim, don't smoke or drink, but do suffer with high
anxiety. I run a hairdressing business and have the chance to sell it, but after 40 years owning the business,
I have found making the decision to sell really stressful. I have no family, my only brother has just died, so I do
feel overwhelmed. what do you advice ?
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Blood pressure is normal.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
I can reassure you that this blood pressure is normal. You do not need treatment for this. However, you clearly have anxieties in your life. You may benefit from talking these through with friends and colleagues.
Perhaps a visit to your GP would be a starting point. You may benefit from talking therapy to help you deal with your difficult life events of your recent loss and your decisions regarding your business. There are various types of talking therapy including counselling, psychotherapy and CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy). Different talking therapies suit different people. Your GP would be able to explain what would be available to you locally. This may be a suitable plan for you initially to help deal with your current stress.
Drugs are another alternative to address stress but tend to provide a short-term solution rather than being a long-term answer.
I hope this has been of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,
Follow-up: Blood pressure reading 140/70. Suffer with high anxiety. Advice? 26 hours later
Thank you for reassuring me about my blood pressure. I will talk to a therapist about my worries concerning the sale of my salon. I only have until the end of this month to decide, so that is why I feel overwhelmed, so I think I will sell the shop and deal with the emotions that follow as best I can. It is mostly fear that
is causing this feeling. Thank you again for your help. Kind regards XXXXXX.
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 32 hours later
Brief Answer:
I wish you well.

Detailed Answer:
I am pleased I could be of help to you and I hope you will be able to resolve your issues with the best outcome for you.
Dr K A Pottinger.